Cost modeling and supply chain evaluation of batteries for Zero Emission Commercial Vehicles – DAF Trucks N.V.
|Company Name / Department||DAF Trucks NV|
|Contact Person||Lucas Haverkate|
|Study programme(s)||Operations Management & Logistics|
|Start Date||January 2023|
|Housing arranged by company||No|
DAF Trucks N.V. in Eindhoven is part of the PACCAR Inc. which is one of the biggest global players in the heavy duty truck industry. The known truck brands of PACCAR are Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF. Within PACCAR Inc. DAF engine development is the center of competence for engine development. Their engines and trucks are best in class products in the transportation world; always being driven by their design philosophy “environmentally friendly products with best cost-effectiveness and highest reliability for our customers”. As a global operating company they offer optimal opportunities to contribute to their success in a multicultural team.
DAF is entering the era beyond combustion engines and towards zero emission transport solutions. With current supply chain dynamics and ongoing maturity growth, there will not be a one-size-fits-all solution. Strategic decisions on technologies such as battery and hydrogen fuel cells will be crucial for future business success.
The project is focused on identifying costs and circularity aspects concerning battery systems for Commercial Vehicles (CV) like Medium Duty (MD) & Heavy Duty (HD)Trucks. Identifying the right opportunities in the battery value chain requires sophisticated modeling based on a wide set of variables, such as raw material sources, geographic availability of energy and infrastructures and technology evolutions.
Goals of the Project
- Identify main cost drivers MD&HD truck battery systems and their sensitivity to supply/demand market fluctuations.
- Optimize supply chain of Li-ion batteries, incl. various options for recycling and different 2nd life scenarios
- Materials & manufacturing cost model battery pack
- Business model for the rest value and recycling costs of battery components containing rear-earth elements
- Supply chain model battery pack, incl. value stream map
- Total Cost Of Ownership MD & HD battery system over full Life-cycle
Essential Student Knowledge
Finance, Sustainable Energy Technology, Supply Chain Management
Experience with Modeling, Cost Modeling,
Tools: Excel, MATLAB
More information: email@example.com